HANNS U. BAUMANN, S.E.
Hanns U. Baumann, S.E. was born in 1930, the son of Paul and Miriam Baumann, of San Marino, CA. Paul Baumann was the Chief Engineer for the Arrowhead Lake Company during the development of the Lake Arrowhead resort (his wedding to Miriam was the first wedding ceremony held in Lake Arrowhead), and later, was the Assistant Chief Engineer of the Los Angeles County Flood Control District from 1934 to 195. Paul Baumann was, himself, the son of a Swiss Contractor/Engineer, Freidrich Baumann.
Hanns Baumann continued the family tradition of innovation in the structural design field, and received his Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 1953, and his Masters Degree in Structural Engineering from the University of Southern California in 1963. In the interim, stationed in Korea and Japan, where he served in 1954 as a company commander in the US Army Corps of Engineers at the age of just 23. Upon his return to the United States, and after his discharge, Baumann began as a structural design engineer in Orange County, CA for Robert E. Scherrer Consulting Structural Engineering. In 1961, he became a partner in the newly formed Scherrer-Baumann Consulting Structural Engineers.
In 1978, his partner Robert Scherrer retired, and Scherrer-Baumann became Baumann Engineering. In 1981 he formed Baumann Research and Development Corporation, and made Baumann Engineering a division of BRD Corp. BRD Corp. was formed to focus on the development of products, specializing in the construction industry, and Baumann Engineering continued providing consulting structural engineering services in a variety of disciplines. In 1986, he formed Baumann International Inc., which was formed for the purpose of marketing products that had been developed by BRD Corp. In 1999, Baumann International was renamed BauTech, Inc. Baumann currently is 100% owner of BRD Corp. and Baumann Engineering, and 95% owner of BauTech, Inc..
Mr. Baumann is a licensed engineer in four states.
Mr. Baumann and his firm have been recognized and awarded in several areas of engineering, including slope stabilization, steel construction, bridge design, and reinforced concrete, by organizations as varied as the Civil Engineering Research Foundation, Construction Innovation Forum, the Portland Cement Association, American Iron and Steel Institute, the California Geotechnical Engineers Association, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and more.
Mr. Baumann has been a featured speaker at numerous industry conferences and seminars, including Structural Faults and Repair Conference in London, England, 2003, and the Structural Engineers World Conference in Yokohama, Japan, 2002, and is scheduled to speak at the 2004 Concrete Bridge Conference in Charlotte, North Carolina in May. He was also the Keynote Speaker at the Annual NOVA Awards Presentation Dinner in 1998.
Mr. Baumann has lived in the community of Emerald Bay in Laguna Beach since 1961, and frequently spends his weekends there playing beach volleyball. In fact, he has won six gold medals in two-man beach volleyball in the Senior Olympics and is currently a member of the reigning, undefeated California state champion Senior Olympics two-man volleyball team. His wife Sharon passed away in 1997. Baumann has one son, John, a teacher, who lives in Newport News, VA., and a daughter, Katie, who lives with her husband and Baumann’s only grandchild in Sierra Madre, CA. For more on Hanns Baumann, visit www.hannsbaumann.com
Hanns U. Baumann, S.E.
BSCE - University of California, Berkeley, 1953
MSCE - University of Southern California, 1963
State of California, CE 10917
State of California, SE 1118
State of Arizona, CE 6160
State of Colorado,
CE 15478 - Inactive
State of Nevada,
PE 2216 - Inactive
Meritorious Award Cove Road Slope Restoration
Army Material Command Project of the Year - 1987
Bridge Design Contest - 1971 American Society of Civil
Society of American Military Engineers Engineers, Orange County
Best Engineering of an Industrial Product California Geotechnical
Design In Steel Award Program Engineers Association 1987
American Iron and Steel Institute Outstanding Project Award
Award of Commendation 1964 1992 NOVA Award
Prestressed Concrete Institute Innovation in Construction
Horizon Home National Award From
Laguna Niguel, California Construction Innovation Forum
1996 CERF Charles Pankow Award for Innovation Program
Civil Engineering Research Foundation
Innovative Application Recognition
Memberships (Past and Present)
Corporate Advisory Board - Civil Engineering Research Foundation
Board of Directors – Construction Innovation Forum
Board of Directors - Camp Elliott Field Station, Jacobs School of Engineering, UCSD
Structural Engineers Association of California
American Society of Civil Engineers
American Concrete Institute International
International Conference of Building Officials
Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
Wire Reinforcement Institute
Light Gauge Steel Engineers Association
American Plywood Association
ACI Committee 439
ACI Committee 439B
Product Development History
Hanns Baumann, since 1956, has been personally involved in the development of more than 30 new products for the construction industry. He has invented numerous products himself and holds 7 US patents. He is also registered as co-inventor on 2 US patents, and has helped many inventors of construction innovations to develop and market their inventions.
He has designed, and often supervised construction of, thousands of structures using the products he has invented and helped other inventors to develop, in 10 countries, on 3 continents.
· The Button-head Prestress System, Carl Middendorf, founder of Prescon Corp., Inventor
· The Vaughtborg Lift Slab System, William Vaughtborg, Inventor
· Tilt-up Wall Construction, The Burke Company
· Cinch Nail Prefabricated Wood Truss Plates, Bostich Co.
· Gascon Lightweight Polymer Concrete, John Beggs, Inventor
· Gascon Freeformed Sprayed Mortar System, John Beggs, Inventor
· Baumann Gascon Construction System, John Beggs, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors, utilized internationally on thousands of low-cost homes
· AirFloor Trusslab Hollow Concrete Floor System, John Leemhuis, Inventor, over 2 million square feet constructed
· University Residential Building System (URBS), John Leemhuis, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors, used in University of California dormitories
· Conspray Construction System, John Richards, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors, acquired by Whiteman Manufacturing
· Omni Manufactured Housing Systems, Elmer Sproul, Fleetwood Joiner, Hanns Baumann, co-inventors, acquired by Phillip Morris for widespread use
· Manufactured Hotel Room System, Edward Maurer, Inventor, acquired by Brown and Root, Inc.
· Replaceable Manufactured Service Modules, Edward Maurer, Herbert Watkins, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors, US Patent issued
· Computer Aided Transportation System (CATS), Hanns Baumann, Inventor
· FireSafe Construction Systems, Hanns Baumann, Inventor
· SlopeSaver Construction Systems, Hanns Baumann, Inventor
· FreeForm Construction Systems, John Beggs, David Klages, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors
· Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Form Tie/Concrete System, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors
· Steel Fiber Reinforced Sprayed Concrete System, John Richards, Hanns Baumann, Co-Inventors
· Containerized U.S. Housing System, Hanns Baumann, Inventor
· Energy Saving/Long Span Hollow Concrete Floor System, Hanns Baumann, Inventor
· Prefabricated Foam Core Trussed Wire Panels, Dave Stevenson, John Douglas, Co-inventors, currently used by Habitat for Humanity
· Prefabricated Foamed Gypsum Construction Panels, Rudy Gunnerman, Inventor
· Manufactured Relocatable Air Rights Hotel System, Marvin Renfro, Hanns Baumann, Co-inventors, US Patent issued
· OmniForm Manufactured Multi-story Building System, Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent issued
· Friction Joint Space Frame, Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent issued
· Seismic Energy Dissipating Rebar Coupler (BauCon™), Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent issued
· Baumann Rapid Construction System, Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent issued
· Factory Built Construction Assembly, Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent issued
· Earthquake Resistant Structure Utilizing a Confinement Reinforcing Framework (BauGrid® Reinforcement System), Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent No. issued, used extensively in and out of seismic regions
· Reinforcement Cages for Ductile Concrete Frame Members and Method of Fabricating and Erecting the Same, (BauGrid® Ductile Frame, Fabrication and Erection System), Hanns Baumann, Inventor, US Patent issued, Canadian, Japanese and European patents pending
U.S. Patents Issued
U. S. Patent No. 3,407,560 U. S. Patent No. 4,447,996
Baumann Space Frame Factory Built Construction Assembly
U.S. Patent No. 5,218,809
Earthquake Resistant Structure U. S. Patent No. 4,389,831
Utilizing a Confinement Reinforcing Baumann Simplified
Framework (BauMeshâ) Construction System
U.S. Patent No. 4,644,709 U.S. Patent No. 5,392,580
OmniForm Building System Modular Reinforcement Cages for Ductile Concrete Frame Members
U.S. Patent No. 5,305,573 and Method of Fabricating and
Energy Dissipating Connector Erecting the Same
"Advances In Rapid Construction Of Tall Earthquake Resistant Buildings In California
Structural Faults and Repair Conference, London, England, July 1- 3, 2003
"Recent Advances in Reinforcement of Ductile Concrete Members and Shearwalls in Tall Earthquake
Resistant Buildings Structural Engineers World Congress, Yokohama, Japan, Oct. 9 - 12, 2002
"Report of Recent Advances in the Development of Welded Reinforcement Grid Products and Processes" Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat Fourth Conference on Tall Buildings in Seismic Regions, Los Angeles, May 9-10, 1997 The Printing House, Stoughton, Wisconsin, "Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Tall Buildings in Seismic Regions," pp. 277-290
"Performance of Prefrabricated High Strength Welded Grids in Ductile Concrete Shearwall Boundary Elements" John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., London, International Journal of the Structural Design of Tall Buildings, Vol. 2, pp. 33-52 (1993)
"Welded Wire Confinement Grids" ASCE Structures Congress ’93, Irvine, California, April 19-21, 1993
American Society of Civil Engineers, New York, Structural Engineering in Natural Hazards Mitigation, Vol. 1, pp. 295-300
"A New Confinement Device For Tall Ductile Shearwall Buildings" Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat Second Conference on Tall Buildings in Seismic Regions, Los Angeles, May, 1991
Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Lehigh University in the Proceedings of the Second Conference on Tall Buildings in Seismic Regions, pp. 61-70
"Sprayed-On Polymer Mortar Construction" ASCE 7th Structures Congress, San Francisco, May 1-5, 1989 American Society of Civil Engineers, New York, Structural Materials, pp. 363-366
Papers Sponsored or Co-sponsored
Saatcioglu, M. and Grira, M. "Confinement of R/C Columns with Welded Reinforcement Grids," ACI Structural Journal, Vol 96, No. 1, 1999.
Choi, C. S. and Saatcioglu, M. "An Experimental Study on the Structural Behavior of Concrete Columns Confined with Welded Reinforcement Grids," Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.187-196, 1999.
Choi, C. S., Saatcioglu, M. and Grira, M. "Analytical Approach on the Concrete Columns with Welded Reinforcement Grids," Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp.137-146, 1999.
Saatcioglu, M. AND Grira, M., 1996, "Concrete Columns Confined with Welded Reinforcement Grids," Ottawa Carleton Earthquake Engineering Research Center - Report OCEERC 96-05, September
Cheok, G. S. and Stone, W. C. 1994, "Performance of 1/3-Scale Model Precast Concrete Beam-Column Connections Subjected to Cyclic Inelastic Loads - Report No. 4" NISTIR 5436, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, June
Miranda, E., Thompson, C.L., Bertero V.V., 1990 “Cyclic Behavior Of Shearwall Boundary Elements Incorporating Prefabricated Welded Wire Hoops” - A Report To Sponsor Baumann Engineering” EERC College of Engineering, UCB